The prostate is one of the most important organs in men that is essential for fertility – it produces a fluid called seminal fluid that nourishes and protects sperms.
Typically, the prostate is about the size of a walnut, but as a man ages, the prostate tends to increase in size and may cause problems like benign prostatic hyperplasia and prostate cancer – the second leading cause of cancer death among American men.
Thankfully, there are a variety of things that you can do to maintain your prostate health and protect yourself from prostate problems. Let’s talk about the top 10 tips to maintain your prostate health as you grow older and where you can go for comprehensive men’s healthcare in Florida, New Jersey, Georgia, Michigan, or Illinois.
10 Tips That Can Help Protect your Prostate
- Eat More Fruits and Vegetables– Fruits and vegetables are rich in important vitamins and antioxidants. So, in your diet, add vegetables and fruits that are deep and bright in color.
- Avoid Red Meat – Studies have found that a diet high in red meat has been linked to an increased risk for cancer. So, reduce your red meat intake to protect your prostate from cancer.
- Stop Smoking – Cigarette smoking is believed to greatly influence most cancers. It produces free radicals that can cause gene mutations and cancer development in organs like the prostate. So, avoid smoking to protect your prostate from cancer.
- Watch your Weight – Staying unhealthy and living a sedentary lifestyle can obstruct the blood flow to essential organs, cause hypoxia (oxygen deficiency), and increase your risk for erectile dysfunction and prostate health problems. So, if you’re overweight, lose weight and maintain a healthy weight.
- Be more Sexually Active –Frequent ejaculation promotes prostate health as the prostate gland is used during ejaculation. A study has found that men with more frequent ejaculations had a 33 percent lower risk for prostate cancer than men who reported fewer ejaculations.
- Try Urinating in a Sitting Position – Urinating in a sitting position reduces the amount of residual volume in the bladder, increases the urine flow rate, and decreases emptying time.
- Exercise Regularly –Exercise can not only help modulate your hormones and maintain your weight, but it can also ease your urinary symptoms. Exercises that are focused on pelvic floor muscles also help you control urination.
- Get Some Sun – While you shouldn’t ditch sunscreen, you should also not hide from the sun either. This is because too little sun exposure can increase your risk of getting prostate problems like prostate cancer. So, get vitamin D from the sun, which is also good for your heart, kidneys, and pancreas.
- Get Screened – Screening helps detect prostate problems, such as prostate cancer, early during the initial stages. So, if you’re in a high-risk, average-risk group, or above 40, get your prostate gland screened regularly.
- Visit a Medical Professional–To maintain prostate health and protect your prostate gland from prostate problems, visit a trusted medical professional. The medical professional can identify your risk for the prostate problem, diagnose a problem, and provide effective treatments.
Men’s Health Expert at NIVA Health
If you’re at risk for prostate cancer or have other men’s health problems, visit our trusted medical professionals at NIVA Health. Our medical professionals will not only diagnose your men’s health problems but also offer non-drug, all-natural treatment for prostate issues and erectile dysfunction.